What to Do After a Car Accident
No one anticipates being in a car accident. And, we certainly hope that doesn’t happen to you.
But, if you ever find yourself in that situation, it’s important to take the proper steps to put yourself in the best position to get compensation – especially if the wreck wasn’t your fault.
Steps to Take Immediately After a Car Accident
Following any kind of automobile accident, we recommend taking the following steps:
- Call law enforcement. Once you’ve called the police, they will visit the scene, gather facts and create an accident report.
- Get medical attention. If anyone is injured, get medical attention immediately.
- Obtain contact information. Once you have made sure everyone is okay, exchange contact information with the other parties involved in the accident. And if possible, obtain the contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident occur.
- Take photos. Before you leave the scene, take photos of the vehicle and scene of the accident from several angles.
- Contact insurance. Once you have taken these steps, you should report the accident to your insurance company or agent.
- Contact an attorney. If you or a loved one was injured in the accident and it wasn’t your fault, contact a personal injury lawyer to determine your rights. You may be entitled to compensation. Don’t wait! Getting immediate legal help will help you achieve the best result.
What NOT to do After an Accident
In addition to following the steps above, it’s also important to avoid possible missteps that could impact your ability to get the payment you deserve.
Here are a few things that you should NOT do after a vehicle accident:
- Do not give statements or signed papers to insurance. It’s important to contact your insurance company after the accident. However, do not provide a written or recorded statement about the accident to insurance companies – including your own – until you have talked to a lawyer. The same goes for any documents an insurance company provides – don’t sign them without talking to a lawyer.
- Do not wait to get legal advice. If you are dealing with injuries and property damage, it can be tempting to put off talking with a lawyer. However, the longer you wait, the harder it can be for your lawyer to build your case and get you the proper recover. Plus, a lawyer can be a powerful advocate for you throughout the entire process, so it pays to get help right away.
- Do not agree to a settlement without getting legal advice. After an accident, it can be incredibly tempting to take the first offer an insurance company provides. But, doing so may jeopardize your ability to get paid what you truly deserve. It can be difficult to undo negotiations you’ve made with your insurance company before hiring an attorney. That’s why you should consult with an attorney immediately after your car accident.
If you or a loved one has been in a vehicle accident that wasn’t your fault, we can help. Contact us today to see what Hugh can do for you.